This is the first time Teamsters 987 is offering a Scholarship only to our Members and their immediate dependent children. We wanted to extend this to the dedicated and deserving men and women of Local 987, so there is an opportunity for financial support to further your education. As these scholarships are new, the criteria below is a starting point, scholarship criteria may be modified at a future date based on the needs of members and their immediate dependent children.
Applications are now open for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Teamsters Local 987 is committed to the well-being and quality of life of its members, their immediate dependent children and of society.
The aim of this scholarship program is to offer financial aid to members and their immediate dependent children so they can reach their career goals and thereby advance in their personal life. By supporting our members and their immediate dependent children in their personal growth, we build leaders, proud to belong to our organization and ready to play an active role in society.
Members or members on behalf of their immediate dependent children must meet the following minimum criteria at the time they submit their scholarship application:
- have been an active Teamsters Local 987 member for at least 12 consecutive months prior to applying;
- have paid their union dues for the 12 months prior to applying;
Members’ immediate dependent children must meet the following minimum criteria at the time they submit their scholarship application:
- must be 18 years of age or older;
- be enrolled in a regular academic/training program at a college, university, or in a recognized vocational training program (truck driving school, welding school, etc.).
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Salaried employees of Teamsters Local 987 are not eligible. This includes, but is not limited to Officers, Local Union employees and Business Agents of Teamsters Local 987.
Number of Scholarships & Amounts
Scholarships will be awarded to members or their immediate dependent children who are enrolled in academic and vocational training programs. A total of up to $30,000 will be awarded, in varying denominations to multiple Teamsters 987 member recipients, based on need and program requirements.
Payout of Scholarships
Priority shall be given to pay a scholarship to an institution or training provider. At the discretion of the scholarship committee a scholarship award may be paid to a member or their immediate dependent children directly under the following criteria:
- for members or their immediate dependent children enrolled in an academic/training program, payment will be made upon presentation of receipts for courses already completed or upon presentation of receipts for courses to be completed, after the deadline for withdrawing from said courses has passed.
- for members or their immediate dependent children starting an academic/training program, payment will be made upon presentation of receipts for courses to be completed, after the deadline for withdrawing from said courses has passed.
Scholarship applications shall consist of a completed form providing the candidate’s personal information along with an essay of roughly 250 words giving the reasons Teamsters Local 987 should accept their application.
Scholarship Award Period
The scholarship application period has been revised. Scholarships will be awarded throughout the 2021/2022 academic calendar year. Recipients will be notified on an as awarded basis. Should all scholarship monies be awarded, a notice of such will be posted on this page.
A selection committee will be formed to choose scholarship recipients. The selection committee will be made up of the following members:
- Three Local 987 members in good standing employed in different industries and residing in various geographic regions
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will convene a selection meeting as required to study the applications and read the compositions of eligible candidates and to select recipients.
Evaluation of Applications
The Committee will have full discretion in evaluating applications to determine scholarship recipients. To ensure fairness when evaluating applications, among other criteria, the Committee will consider the following:
- the geographic breakdown of recipients across Alberta;
- the financial situation of applicants;
- the number of scholarships already awarded to the candidate under the program in the past.