This is the first time Teamsters 987 is offering a Scholarship only to our Members. We wanted to extend this to the dedicated and deserving men and women of Local 987, so there is opportunity for financial support to further your education. As these scholarships are new, the criteria below is a starting point, scholarship criteria may be modified at a future date based on the needs of members.
Teamsters Local 987 is committed to the well-being and quality of life of its members and of society.
The aim of this scholarship program is to offer financial aid to members so they can reach their career goals and thereby advance in their personal life. By supporting our members in their projects, we build leaders, proud to belong to our organization and ready to play an active role in society.
Members must meet the following minimum criteria at the time they submit their scholarship application: Full eligibility requirements are stated on the scholarship application.
- have been an active Teamsters Local 987 member for at least 12 consecutive months prior to applying;
- have paid their union dues for the 12 months prior to applying;
- be enrolled in a regular academic/training program at a college, university, or in a recognized vocational training program (truck driving school, welding school, etc.).
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Salaried employees of Teamsters Local 987 are not eligible. This includes, but is not limited to Officers, Local Union employees and Business Agents of Teamsters Local 987. The spouses, parents and children of the above people are also excluded.
Number of Scholarships & Amounts
Scholarships will be awarded to members enrolled in academic and vocational training programs. A total of up to $20,000 will be awarded each year as follows:
- 10 scholarships of $2000 each
Payout of Scholarships
Scholarships will be paid out to recipients according to the following rules:
- for members enrolled in an academic/training program, payment will be made upon presentation of receipts for courses already completed or upon presentation of receipts for courses to be completed, after the deadline for withdrawing from said courses has passed.
- for members starting an academic/training program, payment will be made upon presentation of receipts for courses to be completed, after the deadline for withdrawing from said courses has passed.
Scholarship applications shall consist of a completed form providing the candidate’s personal information along with an essay of roughly 250 words giving the reasons Teamsters Local 987 should accept their application.
Scholarship Award Period
The period for completing and submitting applications for the scholarships is October 31 of each year.
Recipients are notified by December 1 thereafter.
Scholarships will be awarded throughout the 2020 calendar year. Should all 10 scholarships be awarded, notice of such will be posted on this page.
A selection committee will be formed to choose scholarship recipients. The selection committee will be made up of the following members:
- Three Local 987 members in good standing employed in different industries and residing in various geographic regions
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will convene a selection meeting as required to study the applications and read the compositions of eligible candidates and to select recipients.
Evaluation of Applications
The Committee will have full discretion in evaluating applications to determine scholarship recipients. To ensure fairness when evaluating applications, among other criteria, the Committee will consider the following:
- the geographic breakdown of recipients across Alberta;
- the financial situation of applicants;
- the number of scholarships already awarded to the candidate under the program in
The Committee may decide not to give all or any scholarship if it does not receive enough deserving applications.Download Application